Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Julie and Julia


I took some time off this afternoon to go to Julie & Julia with a friend who's a terrific cook. There are so many excellent reasons to see this film --- and it's not just a chick flick. Meryl Streep is yet again wonderful, and Amy Adams and Stanley Tucci are engaging as well. I came out of the theater resolving to at least steam some artichokes and drown them in butter, one bite at a time.

That said, there's a lot in in the movie about writing and getting published. The film really runs two stories at once -- one is Julie's and the other is Julia -- and the stark contrasts between technologies that are 50 years apart are entertaining but oh so true.

When Julia states that she has a lot to learn about publishing, I can hear every unpublished writer saying "Amen, sister!" When Julie starts her blog, I shake my head and ask along with her, "How is anyone going to find me out in that big void?"

(That's me running around in the kitchen last Thanksgiving.)

No comments:

Post a Comment